As men get older, there is a greater possibility of developing certain types of prostate problems. The most common of these is Enlarged Prostate or BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy). While not life threatening, it can eventually become extremely uncomfortable and lead to complications. Enlargement is very common. So much so that physicians consider it a part of the aging process for men.
Normally, men don’t begin experiencing symptoms until after the age of 40. Medical treatments may be necessary as symptoms appear and become worse. Any increase in the size of the prostate creates more pressure in the urethral area which causes difficulties with urination and weakens the bladder over time.
Possible Signs Of an Enlarged Prostate
- Difficulty in urination
- Dysuria or pain during urination
- Weakened urethral reflex, or reduced control when starting and stopping the flow of urine
- Problems in emptying urine from the bladder
- Leaking or dribbling of urine, due to weakened urethral reflex
- More frequent urination
- Involuntary urination
- Irritation in the scrotal area
- Discomfort during ejaculation
Many men neglect these symptoms, ignoring them sometimes out of embarrassment. This is not the best decision since it may allow the situation to get worse. More advanced symptoms such as pain and the development of serious complications in the kidney and prostate area may become apparent.
Several Basic Homeopathic Treatments
There are a number of easily available items that can diminish the effects of Enlarged Prostate (BPH). They improve general prostate health and prevent possible complications. They include:
- Corn Silk which has long been used as an alternative remedy particularly for prostate problems. An infusion is made by simply putting the corn husk in boiling water then simmering gently. Finally, the husks can be removed and it can be consumed as a beverage.
- Freshwater fish such as salmon, tuna and mackerel are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, a good choice for reducing the risk of Enlarged Prostate as well as prostate cancer.
- The zinc content found in pumpkin seeds helps diminish the development of Enlarged Prostate (BPH) and enhances the general condition of the immune system. The seeds can be eaten as is or added to the morning cereal and many other recipes on the menu.
- Saw Palmetto extract has been used reliably for generations, maintaining the urinary system and clearing blockages. The extract can influence hormone levels which can reduce the size of the prostate. A physician can advise on a recommended dosage according to the condition of the prostate.
- Soy-based foods, like tofu or edamame beans, contain phytoestrogens and are a good choice for improved prostate health. They have a protective effect on testosterone and keep it at the right levels.
- Stinging Nettle has long been used in Europe for prostate problems. It is a potent herb that prevents testosterone binding. A physician can advise on a recommended dosage according to the condition of the prostate.
Additional Steps To Good Prostate Health
- Drink ample amounts of water. At least 8 glasses will give the body what it needs to flush toxins from the organs, especially the prostate and urinary tract.
- Consume less red meat and fats.
- Have a doctor check your prostate annually or if symptoms appear.
- Avoid or reduce alcohol consumption.