While prostate problems can be uncomfortable, there are ways to diminish their effects and even reduce the likelihood of developing the condition of Enlarged Prostate (BPH), also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Basic lifestyle modifications can have a significant role in avoiding the effects of Enlarged Prostate (BPH). As well, some medications and natural remedies can also enhance the general health of the prostate and urinary tract. Many of these herbal components have been tested directly for generations and can make all the difference to good prostate health.
Staying a step ahead when it comes to good prostate health pays off and brings benefits to overall health.
Some Minor Adjustments Can Make A Big Difference
- A person with Enlarged Prostate (BPH) may have poor quality of sleep, due to frequent waking at night to go to the toilet. These sleep disturbances may be lessened by avoiding the consumption of liquids before bedtime. In particular, beverages containing caffeine or alcohol should not be consumed for a good while before going to sleep.
- Stress reduction is beneficial because it helps reduce fats in the prostate and urinary system. With all the pressures of daily life, it is important to schedule in a little breathing room. Stress reduction may be as simple as taking the time to read a book before bed or waking up a bit early to take the time to look around and start the new day calmly. Others may want to identify a relaxing activity that they can do on a regular basis. There are plenty of stress reduction techniques and approaches to relaxation, that can help release stress in your daily life.
- It is recommended that men avoid decongestants, antihistamines, and medications with similar substances that may contribute to Enlarged Prostate (BPH). These types of over-the-counter medications can damage the muscle groups that surround the bladder, which can then cause irritation and enlargement of the prostate. These effects can be diminished and healing can be accelerated by taking warm baths during the day. Avoid sitting or standing in immobile positions for any length of time. If you spend a lot of time behind a desk at work, find ways to keep moving throughout the day, take a break to go for a walk or get some exercise.
- If you are not getting enough zinc in your diet, increase consumption of zinc-rich foods. Oysters are the best source, but it is also present in red meat, poultry, other seafood and fortified breakfast cereals. Or else consider taking zinc supplements. According to some studies 30-60 mg of zinc a day will help reduce the effects or even stave off prostate enlargement. However there is not full consensus among medical professionals on these findings.
- Saw Palmetto has been widely used as an herbal remedy for prostate conditions in Europe in past centuries. It continues to be used as an effective remedy for improving prostate conditions. It may help diminish the effects of Enlarged Prostate (BPH) if not completely block its development.